Life Scraps
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Four Questions

Last Sunday's small group lesson was centered around 4 questions. Notice I didn't say "simple" questions. The questions stemmed from the tragedy that struck our church on March 8th when an armed man walked into our sanctuary and took from us, our Shepherd....our friend, Pastor Fred Winters. We were encouraged to search scripture, since after all that is the best place to go in times such as these, for the answers to these 4 questions. There were no right or wrong answers....just our take on it based upon the leading of the Holy Spirit as we read through God's holy word. Here are the scriptures I found. I place them on my blog because I have some family that either do not attend my church or do but do not attend a small group and I wanted them to have them as well.

Question #1...Our Future?
Proverbs 23:17-19
Do not let your hearts envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD. There is surely a future HOPE for your, and your HOPE will not be cut off. Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.
---this scripture spoke to me about the hope that is in our future at FBCM if we stay on the right path, God's path.


Jeremiah 29:11 (my life verse)
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a HOPE and a future.
---I have a little trouble with this verse only because I feel the "harm" has already come but even greater harm can come thru the dying of this church is we do not hold on to Jesus & PRAY.


Romans 8:37-39
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neight height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Question #2 How is God going to meet our needs?
Isaiah 58:9-11
Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing of finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your light will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
---Our needs will be met as we meet the needs of others. It is through our continuing to show the love of Christ and sharing the truth that the darkness of this tragedy will turn once again to light.

Question #3 Why did God allow this to happen?
Romans 5:2-4
through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the HOPE of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, HOPE.

Isaiah 60:1-3
Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn.
---This makes me think of what Pastor told us...how the world would be watching when evil struck and this verse talks about how nations will come to the light and we all know that nations around the world has been watching this event & our reaction.

Question #4 How is God going to bring us through?
Psalm 31:23-24
Love the LORD, all his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful, but the proud he pays back in full. Be strong and take heart, all you who HOPE in the LORD.

Psalm 62:4-6
They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse. Selah Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my HOPE comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 71:19-21
Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, you who have done great things. Who, O God, is like you? Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once again.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Helen...thank you for the wonderful comments you left on my blog. You have a wonderful blog here. I have enjoyed and even been inspired by reading several of your posts. Hope you have a fabulous day!