Life Scraps

Monday, July 27, 2009

Kentucky Trip, Part 2

While I am waiting on some clothes to finish washing I thought I would write some more about my trip to KY this past weekend.

As I said, we arrived at about 6:00 p.m. Friday. I went to the main house, knocked on the door and did not get an answer. Hmmm, she didn't say she would be gone. So, I went to see if she had left a note on the door of the cottage. She didn't just leave a note, she left the key sitting on the table at the door to the cottage. I chuckled and said, "yep, we are in the country". I unloaded the car and the owner soon came to greet us. She had been home but did not hear me knock. We talked for awhile with her and then it was time to go get some dinner as Mom and I were both very hungry. Before I go into the dinner dilema, let me show you some more photos of the inside of the cottage.

A water feature that even sported fake smoke!

The 3rd bedroom that has one wall made out of 3 separate screen doors. Two of them are stationery while the 3rd one is hinged and used as the door to the room. She hung quilts over the stationery portion of the wall to create some privacy. Such a neat idea.

Pretty flower arrangement at the foot of mom's bed. One thing I notice right off the bat is that she had price tags on many of the decor in the cottage. I inquired and she said that is because it used to be a shop and she turned it into the cottage. She loves antique stores and buys so much that she HAS to sell some of it. The sheep decoration in this photo is something I bought as a momento from the stay.

One view of the livingroom

Another view of the LR...the red cabinet holds the TV

So, about I said, we were hungry. It was by now about 8:00 p.m. so we opted, at the advice of the owner, to try Marion Cafe in town. I had to make a quick stop at the Family Dollar store first. We arrived at the cafe a bit after 8:00 p.m. The neon sign was still lit for "open" and the hours on the door indicated they were open until 9:00 p.m. on Friday. We barely had our foot in the door when the waitress tells us they are closed. We were welcome to stay but the kitchen was closed. I pointed out their sign was still lit for open & the other sign states they are open til 9 p.m. We inquired about where we might find another place to eat and she really didn't know. Hmmmmm, seriously? So, we drove back to the Family Dollar store where there had been a Pizza Hut next door. Surely they would be open. I walked in to place a carryout and there was NO ONE in the place except 2 workers....who did not look thrilled I was coming in. Oh well! I ordered the dinner and after receiving what I believe was a look that meant I am throwing fiery darts at you in my mind.....I went out to wait with mom in the car until I thought the food would be ready. It is 8:30 at this point. 8:30 p.m. on a Friday night. Hello? We took our pizza, breadsticks & soda back to the cottage and ate dinner finally at shortly after 9:00 p.m.

Oh how we get so spoiled with modern city-livin' conveniences. However, I don't find it too much to ask for a place to honor what their signs say. Here are some photos of the fine PH establishment and mom & I being goofy in the car.....remember, our blood sugars were low so we cannot be held accountable for our silliness!